ULTRASOUND PREP INSTRUCTIONS
- Abdominal exam:
- Nothing to eat to or drink after midnight the night before your exam.
- If you are having an afternoon appointment for your ultrasound, eat a light, fat free, breakfast. You will need to not eat or drink for 6 hours prior to your examination.
- Diabetic patients should attempt to obtain an early morning appointment. It is important that you do not take your diabetic medication before your examination.
- Fat free diet the day before the examination.
- Please refrain from smoking or gum chewing before your examination. This introduces air into your stomach which makes imaging of abdominal organs difficult.
- Renal/Kidney exam
- Drink 12 ounces of water 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time.
- Do not urinate (void), it is important for you to come in with your bladder partially filled.
- Please take your medications as usual.
- Pelvic/Obstetrical examinations
- Drink 32 ounces of water approximately 1 hour before your scheduled examination time.
- It is necessary for you to come in with a full bladder, do not void (urinate).
- If you are on diuretics, please continue taking them as usual.
- If you have renal insufficiency, or are on dialysis, please inform the staff when scheduling your appointment. Drink 24 ounces of water one hour before your scheduled examination time, and do not void.